Senior Economic Officer, Mexico City
Ontario Public Service
Toronto - Canada
Senior Economic Officer, Mexico City
• one temporary (up to 36 months)
With offices in Canadian diplomatic missions in strategic economic development markets across the globe, including in Europe, Asia and North America, the Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Employment's International Marketing Centres are lead by dynamic professionals who are familiar with the needs of their market territory and the trade and investment potential it holds for Ontario. The Centres are an important resource for the government of Ontario as well as Ontario communities interested in attracting foreign investment, Ontario companies looking to access new export markets and companies from the overseas market territory for finding investment and import success with Ontario.
Situated in the Canadian Consulate General in Mexico City, a unique three-year opportunity exists with the Ministry to represent Ontario in Mexico. Bring your strong knowledge of global economic development and trade issues, knowledge of the market potential of the territory and international business experience to promote Ontario's image for business opportunities, actively develop trade, investment and innovation collaboration opportunities unique to this market and support the Ministry and the Government of Ontario with visiting delegations and VIPs.
In addition to a competitive salary, compensation includes benefits including eligible relocation expenses, an appropriate housing assistance and a foreign service premium.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• determine priorities, objectives and strategies for trade, investment, innovation and general business relations in Mexico with a focus on specific market/sector strengths/opportunities
• propose to the Ministry annual strategies and programming, focusing on specific market and sector priorities and implement as approved
• network with media and business community contacts to advance Ontario's trade, investment and innovation mandate abroad and to raise the profile of Ontario generally
• provide advice and on-the-ground/in-market assistance to senior government and business leaders as well as Ontario business delegations
• provide high-quality intelligence on Mexico
• work with various ministries, levels of government, private-sector companies and organizations, and academic institutions to advance Ontario's investment, trade and innovation mandate abroad
Location: 900 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario
Note: while the head office of this program is located in the Toronto region, you will be working at the Consulate General of Canada in Mexico City
How do I qualify?
• you are a Canadian Citizen
• you have the ability to obtain Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) clearance and pass a medical examination
• you are fluent in Spanish
• you have extensive knowledge of Ontario's business and economic interests and objectives to attract investment and trade and develop innovation partnerships
• you have sound knowledge of Ontario and host government, economies, decision-making processes and business cultures
• you have knowledge of policy development, decision-making and program delivery processes
Stakeholder Management and Consultation Skills:
• you can clearly and concisely provide high-level consultation, advice and recommendations to senior officials to promote Ontario's business interests
• you have polished negotiation skills to guide and influence stakeholder decisions and experience in successfully collaborating with various stakeholder groups to reach a common goal
• you demonstrate a high degree of political acuity to understand Ontario and Mexico's socio-economic and political issues and identify potential issues and impacts
Project and Issues Management Skills:
• you have analytical and problem-solving skills to synthesize complex and sensitive material and handle a wide-range of business issues
• you have leadership and project management skills to lead projects and initiatives and to guide project partners and supporting staff
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
• you have excellent interpersonal and superb oral communication skills to give presentations, chair meetings and represent the organization
• you have excellent written communication skills to write high-level correspondence, briefing notes and reports
• you can prepare spreadsheets, correspondence, conduct research and prepare reports using computer software
Note: Prior to the offer of employment, in accordance with the Ontario Public Service personnel screening checks policy, the top applicant(s) will be required to undergo personnel screening checks, which include a police records check.
Salary range: $96,077.00 – $127,024.00 per year
How to Apply
Please apply online, only, by clicking Apply below, quoting Job ID 52444, by March 28, 2013. Faxes are not being accepted at this time. If you need employment accommodation, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
FOR YOUR PRIVACY AND PROTECTION, when applying for a job:
- Never give your bank account information or engage in any financial transaction
- If you suspect an advert is not genuine or relevant for economists please report it to us