Economist & Senior Economist positions
London - United Kingdom
S: £27,000 pa – £85,000 pa
Simetrica is a growing research consultancy with renowned expertise in policy evaluation, impact assessment and social impact measurement. We are a firm of expert academics and social scientists dedicated to applying quantitative methods to understanding and solving complex social and economic issues. We work in a wide range of areas including normative ethics, applied economics, econometrics, behavioural economics, and statistics and include in our clients international organisations, national governments, multi-national companies, professional sports clubs and charities. We work at the very forefront of applied economics including wellbeing economics and novel econometric methods such as synthetic control methods. Through our pioneering research we have become the leading research consultancy on social impact measurement, covering cost-benefit analysis, cost-effectiveness analysis, SROI and related methods.
As we grow further we have openings for Economists at different levels within the firm (Economist and Senior Economist positions). We are looking for candidates with understanding of and experience in the delivery of projects related to economic appraisal, cost-benefit analysis, cost-effectiveness, and micro-econometric policy evaluation including experimental studies and quasi-experimental methods. The exciting positions require people who enjoy quantitative analysis. The work is complex and requires an excellent understanding of economic theory and quantitative methods and people who are capable of working at the forefront of applied economics.
The post holder will receive on-the-job training and significant opportunities for learning and development as well as opportunities to work and collaborate with academics in leading universities to produce research and academic journal publications as part of the job.
Responsibilities will depend on prior experience and the position deemed suitable within the firm, but will include study and survey design, primary data collection, econometric analysis of policy impacts using both primary and secondary data sources, non-market goods valuation, implementation of full policy evaluation methods such as cost-benefit analysis, social impact assessment, economic impact assessment, and health impact assessment, report writing, client presentations, bid/proposal writing and client engagement. Some international travel may be involved.
Requirements for the positions:
• An undergraduate degree in economics (or a related quantitative discipline such as statistics or maths with a substantial coursework element in microeconomics and econometrics) at 2:1 or higher.
• An excellent understanding of econometric/statistical methods and microeconomic theory and its application to social issues and policy questions.
• Good knowledge of central Government approaches to conducting economic appraisals and evaluation (e.g. HM Treasury Green Book).
• High level of efficiency in statistical programming (preferably Stata) and in Excel.
• Highly numerate, with strong track record in developing/implementing complex spreadsheet models.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent attention to detail.
Additionally, Senior Economist positions require:
• A postgraduate degree in economics (or a related quantitative discipline).
• Professional experience of working in policy evaluation roles in consultancy or public sector organisations.
• Ability to deliver technical outputs on time and on budget.
• Demonstrable experience of managing staff and projects from start to completion.
• Ability to win bids, and develop new clients and business.
• Track record of publications in government and academic literature (desirable but not required).
How to apply: Please submit your CV together with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Simetrica is an equal opportunities employer.